THE ALDO BECKMAN MEMORIAL AWARD
2013 CALL FOR ENTRIES
The White House Correspondents' Association℠ is pleased to announce competition for the Aldo Beckman Award for presidential news coverage. The prize recognizes a correspondent who personifies the journalistic excellence as well as the personal qualities exemplified by Aldo Beckman, the award-winning correspondent of the Chicago Tribune and former WHCA president.
Competition is open to all journalists who cover the White House on a regular basis, or whose reporting is primarily devoted to coverage of the White House or the presidency. There is a prize of $1,000, and it will be presented at the annual dinner of the Association at the Washington Hilton Hotel on Saturday, April 27, 2013. The award will be based on a correspondent's reporting during the year ending December 31, 2012. Journalistic excellence will be the primary criterion. However, the judges may wish to honor an outstanding young reporter, a reporter who has demonstrated repeated excellence in White House coverage over a long period, or a reporter who personifies the human qualities exemplified by Aldo Beckman. Judges may also choose to make no award in a given year.
Guidelines for the 2013 Award
* Entrants are invited to submit a representative sample of their work for the calendar year 2012 not to exceed six articles or broadcast scripts. Online entries must be original Web content.
* Material for consideration must be submitted in triplicate. It should contain the dateline, date of publication or broadcast, name of publication or news organization, and a supervisor’s certification that the nominee wrote or dictated the story. Entries may be in the form of clippings, original material, wire copy printouts, photocopies or broadcast scripts. A completed entry form must accompany each of the three copies of a story.
* Entries become the property of the White House Correspondents' Association.
* The decision of the judges on all matters relating to the award is final.
* All entries must be received at the WHCA office no later than 5 PM, March 5, 2013.
* Entries are to be submitted to the Aldo Beckman Memorial Award, White House Correspondents' Association, 600 New Hampshire Ave. NW, #800 Washington, DC 20037
* Please place the name of the award on the entry envelope.
DOWNLOAD AND PRINT AN OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (pdf), or follow the links at right to learn more about the awards and past award-winners.
Official White House photo/ Pete Souza