Effective January 1, 2018, the WHCA has shifted the membership year to match the calendar year. Additionally, The WHCA board has updated the policy for membership applications. The old blackout of applications during the dinner and election season has been changed. Applications for regular and associate membership will be accepted and processed throughout the year.
However, the following deadlines will apply to allow the membership committee sufficient time for the approval required to buy dinner tickets or vote.
- Applications must be submitted by Feb 15 to qualify to buy dinner tickets that year;
- Applications must be submitted by May 1 to qualify to vote in that year’s election.
Practices and Principles of White House Coverage
Dear journalists of the White House press corps,
We present to you today the Practices and Principles documents that each of you helped to draft over the past year. This represents our shared belief about the best path to transparency and openness at the White House, the institution we are privileged to cover for millions of Americans and people the world over. Some of the particular requests are already common practice at the White House. Some of them are not. We urge the White House to embrace them all –- in letter and in spirit — to demonstrate its commitment to transparency and respect for an independent press. We urge all serious presidential campaigns to do the same. And we urge you, the members of the White House press corps, to read them again and to commit yourself to making them a reality. We can’t think of a better way to mark the Fourth of July.
The members of the White House Correspondents’ Association Board
White House Correspondents’ Association Membership Criteria
- All applications for membership shall be in writing upon forms to be prescribed by the Executive Board.
- REGULAR MEMBERS. To qualify for regular membership, an applicant must be employed on the editorial staff of a newspaper, periodical, wire service, radio, TV, or other newsgathering organization that regularly reports on the White House. The applicant or the newsgathering organization with which the applicant is affiliated must be credentialed by a Congressional Standing Committee. The applicant’s principal journalistic assignments must involve White House coverage.
- ASSOCIATE MEMBERS. To qualify for associate membership, an applicant must be employed on the editorial staff of a newspaper, periodical, wire service, radio, TV, or other newsgathering organization that reports on the White House. Associate members may not vote or hold elective office in the Association. Regular members who retire from journalistic assignments involving White House coverage may apply to the Executive Board for associate membership.
- HONORARY MEMBERS. Honorary membership in the Association may be conferred by the Executive Board upon any person who has distinguished himself or herself in public life, in the field of journalism, or who has rendered outstanding service to the Association.
- There shall be excluded from membership: any person engaged in lobbying, public relations, or the prosecution of any claim pending before the Congress or any Government Department; any person employed directly or indirectly by any stock exchange, board of trade, or similar organization or brokerage house or brokers engaged in the buying or selling of any securities or commodities. Any person who engages in any of the above activities subsequent to admission to the Association shall be expelled in the manner provided herein.
- Any member who, for any cause, shall cease to be eligible for membership, shall forfeit all rights and interests in the association, and shall be expelled in the manner provided herein.
How to join or renew
If you would like to become a member of the WHCA, please read the bylaws to determine eligibility, then download an application for membership (PDF) and follow the instructions.
If you are a WHCA member and have not yet renewed this year, download and fill out the application, then submit your dues, which will cover membership through the end of 2018.
Only members are eligible to purchase tickets to the annual dinner.
WHCA members may renew and pay their annual dues by check, credit or debit card, or PayPal. You may send a check with your form, or use the Pay Now button below to pay online. Please note your confirmation number or include a copy of the PayPal receipt with your membership renewal paperwork to facilitate processing. For each online renewal, $1.75 will be added to the dues assessment to help defray processing costs. (This displays as a ‘shipping/handling’ fee in our software.)
If you are submitting a corporate PayPal payment to cover multiple renewals, please click the “Add message to seller” button and list the current WHCA members who are to be covered by this payment.
Application for Membership PDF
Practices and Principles of White House Coverage PDF
Practices and Principles of Coverage Access for Independent White House Press PDF