THE EDGAR A. POE MEMORIAL AWARD
The White House Correspondents' Association is pleased to announce competition for the Edgar A. Poe Award for 2017. The award honors excellence in news coverage of subjects and events of significant national or regional importance to the American people.
The prize of $2,500 is funded by the New Orleans Times-Picayune and the WHCA in honor of their distinguished correspondent Edgar A. Poe. Mr. Poe is a former WHCA president. The award will be presented at the annual dinner of the White House Correspondents' Association at the Washington Hilton Hotel on Saturday, April 29, 2017.
In selecting a recipient, the judges will be looking for excellence in stories with fairness and objectivity. Exemplary personal qualities may also be considered. In addition, the judges may cite other meritorious entries.
* Material must have been published in the calendar year ending December 31, 2016.
Entrants may submit a sample of their work up to three stories or scripts. Online entries must be
original Web content.
* Entries may be submitted with clippings, original material, photocopies, Web site printouts or broadcast scripts. Broadcast tapes may be submitted with the scripts.
* Entrants must provide the date of publication or broadcast and a supervisor’s confirmation that the nominee wrote the story or script.
* Entries will not be returned. They become the property of the WHCA.
* The decision of the judges on all matters pertaining to the award will be final.
* Entries are to be submitted to our website no later than 5 PM, March 3, 2017.
* Entries are to be submitted to the Edgar A. Poe Award, using the form on our website,
whca.net/2017contest/. Please follow the instructions for submission.
DOWNLOAD AN ENTRY FORM
DOWNLOAD AND PRINT AN OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (PDF), or follow the links at right to learn more about the awards and past award recipients.