1. All applications for membership shall be writing upon forms to be prescribed by the Executive Board.
2. REGULAR MEMBERS. To qualify for regular membership, an applicant must be employed on the editorial staff of a newspaper, periodical, wire service, radio, TV, cable TV or other broadcast organization or newsgathering organization that regularly reports on the White House. The applicant's principal journalistic assignments must involve White House coverage.
3. ASSOCIATE MEMBERS. To qualify for associate membership, an applicant must be employed on the editorial staff of a newspaper, periodical, wire service, radio, TV, cable TV or other broadcast organization or newsgathering organization that reports on the White House. Associate members may not vote or hold elective office. Regular members who retire from journalistic assignments involving White House coverage may apply to the Executive Board for associate membership.
4. HONORARY MEMBERS. Honorary membership in the Association may be conferred by the Executive Board upon any person who has distinguished himself or herself in public life, in the field of journalism, or who has rendered outstanding service to the Association.
5. There shall be excluded from membership: any person engaged in lobbying, public relations, or the prosecution of any claim pending before the Congress or any Government Department; any person employed directly or indirectly by any stock exchange, board of trade, or similar organization or brokerage house or brokers engaged in the buying or selling of any securities or commodities. Any person who engages in any of the above activities subsequent to admission to the Association shall be expelled in the manner provided herein.
6. Any member who, for any cause, shall cease to be eligible for membership, shall forfeit all rights and interests in the association, and shall be expelled in the manner provided herein.
But wait, there's more....Read the full BY-LAWS online or download a PDF version.
HOW TO JOIN OR RENEW
If you would like to become a member of the WHCA, please read the by-laws to determine eligibility, then download an application for membership (PDF or Word format) and follow the instructions. If you would like to renew your membership, download and fill out the application, then submit your dues, which cover membership from October 1 - September 30.
Photo/Doug Mills, New York Times
Annual dues cover membership from
October 1-September 30. Download the MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION and submit your dues to the WHCA.