White House Correspondents' Association ™ MEMBERSHIP
1. All applications for membership shall be writing upon forms to be prescribed by the Executive Board.
2. REGULAR MEMBERS. To qualify for regular membership, an applicant must be employed on the editorial staff of a newspaper, periodical, wire service, radio, TV, cable TV or other broadcast organization or newsgathering organization that regularly reports on the White House. The applicant's principal journalistic assignments must involve White House coverage.
3. ASSOCIATE MEMBERS. To qualify for associate membership, an applicant must be employed on the editorial staff of a newspaper, periodical, wire service, radio, TV, cable TV or other broadcast organization or newsgathering organization that reports on the White House. Associate members may not vote or hold elective office. Regular members who retire from journalistic assignments involving White House coverage may apply to the Executive Board for associate membership.
4. HONORARY MEMBERS. Honorary membership in the Association may be conferred by the Executive Board upon any person who has distinguished himself or herself in public life, in the field of journalism, or who has rendered outstanding service to the Association.
5. There shall be excluded from membership: any person engaged in lobbying, public relations, or the prosecution of any claim pending before the Congress or any Government Department; any person employed directly or indirectly by any stock exchange, board of trade, or similar organization or brokerage house or brokers engaged in the buying or selling of any securities or commodities. Any person who engages in any of the above activities subsequent to admission to the Association shall be expelled in the manner provided herein.
6. Any member who, for any cause, shall cease to be eligible for membership, shall forfeit all rights and interests in the association, and shall be expelled in the manner provided herein.
But wait, there's more....Read the full BY-LAWS online or download a PDF version.
HOW TO JOIN OR RENEW
If you would like to become a member of the WHCA, please read the by-laws to determine eligibility, then download an application for membership (PDF or Word format) and follow the instructions. Applications must be submitted between August 1 and March 1.
If you are a WHCA member and have not yet renewed, download and fill out the application at the right, then submit your dues, which will cover membership from October 1 to September 30. Renewing members may use the PAY NOW button at the right to pay their dues online. If you do, please note your confirmation number or include a copy of the PayPal receipt with your membership renewal paperwork to facilitate processing. Renewals must be submitted between August 1 and March 1.
No applications or payments for this year's membership will be accepted after March 1.
PRACTICES AND PRINCIPLES OF WHITE HOUSE COVERAGE
(Download PDFs on the sidebar)
July 4, 2015
Dear journalists of the White House press corps,
We present to you today the Practices and Principles documents that each of you helped to draft over the past year. This represents our shared belief about the best path to transparency and openness at the White House, the institution we are privileged to cover for millions of Americans and people the world over. Some of the particular requests are already common practice at the White House. Some of them are not. We urge the White House to embrace them all – in letter and in spirit -- to demonstrate its commitment to transparency and respect for an independent press. We urge all serious presidential campaigns to do the same. And we urge you, the members of the White House press corps, to read them again and to commit yourself to making them a reality. We can’t think of a better way to mark the Fourth of July.
The members of the White House Correspondents’ Association Board
Christi Parsons, President
Carol Lee, President-elect
Jeff Mason, Vice President-elect
Margaret Talev, Treasurer
Scott Horsley, Secretary
Photo/Doug Mills, New York Times
Annual dues cover WHCA membership from October 1 - September 30.
Download the MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION and submit your dues to the WHCA.
Annual dues cover membership from October 1 - September 30. Renewal payments for 2015-2016 and new applications for this year must be submitted by March 1.